Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Steamboat

I am a steamboat lover. During any occasion, I would definitely choose to organize a steamboat dinner, just like the last Sunday during the siblings' gathering at my house.
For me, I am very particular when it comes to the soup base. I do not like or fancy those strong taste soup, for instant tomyam or herbal or spicy type. My all time favourite is “qing tang” aka normal chicken soup. And a BIG NO to ajinomoto or chicken cube.
If I am doing steamboat at home, I will start to make my own chicken stock. When the time permits, I would boil the soup for 2 days. Yes! I am that fussy and “yim jim” with my soup. So last Saturday, I filled up a big pot of water, add in 3 full chicken bones, dried abalone and corn. Let it boiled for about 4-5 hours. Off the fire, then kept until the next day. On Sunday, I topped up the water and added a bunch of ikan bilis and let it boil for another 3 hours. The soup taste superb and sweet! I even used the chicken + ikan bilis stock to cook Bb-G’s porridge and she loved the taste by finishing the whole bowl!

Yesterday night after work, we did a mini steamboat dinner at home (only Papa-M and myself + inlaws who came back quite late for supper) since there were some leftovers of fish balls, meat balls, prawns, real crabs, artificial crabstick, butter fish, salmon, mushroom, tofu, etc… in the fridge. Parents-in-law who didn’t eat on Sunday took this opportunity to wallop all , they even praised my soup base ..YUM YUM! I am always glad and contented when I see happy and satisfying faces when people eat my food.


I like yee mee during steamboat

6 comments:

  1. impressed!!! .....oh no....should be SALUTE! You really got that patience to boil the soup for so many hours. But good soup is what steamboat is all about ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, soup is very important. find one day, i ajak u all come over to my house for steambot ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. is this the same soup recipe as your mum's? I remember going to your place to eat steamboat and the soup was really SUPERB!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sp - wah u can remember my mother's soup? like so many years ago.. ya, more or less the same taste. i inherit her yim jim soup making habit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wah...SP already tried your 'many hour' soup based. Maybe you can plan a Christmas steamboat party at your house. haha...then we can have the exchange present thingy......so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh tat is a wonderful idea!!

    ReplyDelete