Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My Hobby

The other day when I read SP blogged about her non-interest to cook, maybe I can share with her why and how I develop the hobby of cooking.


My mom is the the “cook” of the house. Since young, I do not need, or I never even cook at home, except instant noodles. I also seldom helped my mom in the kitchen. Because my mom is an early bird. She wakes up early in the morning, and she can prepare to cook as early as 9am. By the time of 10am, lunch would be ready. Usually I was in the school when she cooked, not possible to help her at all. Even if mom cooked during weekends, by the time I woke up, the food was served on the table. Hence, my breakfast was actually my lunch.

Even though I never cook, I enjoyed watching cooking programs . I still remember mom always watched this “Mrs Fang” – 方太 cooking show every evening. And I always liked to join her and we talked about how nice the food Mrs Fang cooked. Mom always said she wanted to try her recipes, but I just couldn’t recall if she did.

When I came to Kl for uni, it was by chance I met my roommate who can cook well. Both of us stayed in the hostel for a year, and decided to move out and stayed with some other uni-mates. I had a large group of housemates, a total of 13 people. Some of them like to cook too. Usually I was the kitchen helper. Having stayed with them for 2 years, I had eventually began to fall in love with cooking. During semester breaks which I was back at home, I started to help mom in the kitchen. I also shared with her what my housemates cooked when I stayed with them.

Uni years ended, and I entered my career phase. I stayed with PL, my childhood friend. I started to cook at home, and enjoyed cooking for PL. I would constantly exploring new recipes, and she was the one who always delighted to try for me. Each time she had good comments. Furthermore, the Korean drama Da Chang Jin had really inspired me to go further into culinary. Even until now I like the quote from Chang Jin – “I like to see the happy faces when they eat my food” !

Soon, I was involved with many occasions of pot luck parties and gatherings. I would cook and bring over to the parties and shared with my friends. Eventually my food would be the “laku” one. I was so flattered and this had double boosted my confidence.

Now, I enjoy my time in the kitchen. I like to watch cooking shows . I enjoy eating outside food and then think how to make them at home. I like to explore with new ingredients and play with the taste. Well, I am not an expert, and believe I still have lots to learn…..



2 comments:

  1. Bravo mummy j. Still Still thought you learnt cooking from your mum...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remembered that 'Fang Tai'. I used to accompany my mum to watch that show too. But I prefer eating than cooking. haha.. PL so lucky.

    ReplyDelete