Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, March 04, 2013

Cai Tau Kueh

I went back to visit my parents in the hometown during the last 2 days of Chinese New Year.
Mom brought us to a hawker centre nearby our house for a supper. Usually what I love to eat at night is "cai tau kueh" a.k.a fried radish cake. It is my favourite food.

I can still remember when I was a young girl, during primary school, my dad used to tapao back cai tau kueh for me for my supper. The cai tau kueh that he bought was very very tasty, and my dad would always ask the uncle who fried the cai tau kueh to add in prawns and squids for me....Hmmm....I really love the way my dad used to pamper me....hahaha....

Oh yah, I only love to eat WHITE type of fried radish cake. The one usually sell here (in KL) always come in black soy sauce, which I don't quite like it.

So, back to the supper I ate recently with mom, was surprised when I saw Bb-G enjoyed the cai tau kueh too. It was her first time eating cai tau kueh . So I decided to make this dish at home during the weekend.

I bought one radish and grated it. Mixed the grated radish with rice flour+water mixture. Added a pinch of salt to the mixture and steamed until cook and set. Left it in the fridge overnight so that the cake was harden and easy to manage.












































Cut the cake into cubes
















2  most important ingredients for a plate of fried radish cake are the "cai por" (preserved radish)
and minced garlic. Used some oil to fry both until fragrant and then add in the cake cubes





























I do not have prawns and squids at home, so I replaced them with crab stick meat (artificial)















I used the Korean double pan to cook the dish. Season with soy sauce and fish sauce. Poured in egg and threw in some spring onions at the end of the process















One plate with crab meat
















One plate with egg only (without crab)

 














Although I could not get the exact taste of what I used to eat when I was a small kid, I was glad that I managed to make this dish at home.......

** sorry papa-m, yesterday you were not at home, only yex and me makan habis habis.....kekeke










3 comments:

  1. ooops... the chai tao kuay comment supposed to be for this post... hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love BP chai tao kuey too ! And I love those prawn and sotong added. All those selling elsewhere are with black sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think all of us from bp will love out bp version of cai tau kueh, haahah!

    ReplyDelete