Bb-G had a mild cough, and then started to sneeze. Brought her to the clinic, then fetch her to nanny’s house. I went to work. Called and informed the school principal, Bb-G would be absent for 2 days. Fetched her home after work. Nanny told me she vomited. Could be caused by the cough and phlegm. Once she coughed too hardly, she threw up.
I slept with her at night .She coughed non-stop to push out her phlegm. Ended up, she vomited again and again for few times, till I gave her a warm manuka honey drink. It was 5am then. Her cough stopped immediately and she slept till the next morning.
Thursday, 10/1/13
I took leave from work to take care of her at home. Bb-G was still coughing, fed her medicines. Vomited twice when she coughed. She said her throat was itchy. The phlegm, must be. Cough was better at night. At least she could sleep.
Friday, 11/1/13
Didn’t send her to school, thinking she had not fully recovered. Sent her to nanny’s place, and off to work. Picked her up from nanny in the evening. Nanny said Bb-G’s appetite was not good. And she looked tired, due to drowsy medicines. Back at home, she complaint stomachache. Diarrhea twice. I fed her medicine for her upset tummy. She was ok. Coughed a bit at night, but managed to sleep.
Saturday, 12/1/13
Made her lunch, I cooked plain rice and soup. She ate quite little. After lunch, while I was taking shower, she rested on the couch. When I came out from the bathroom, I saw her lying, looking very sleepy.
I asked if she wanted to sleep in her room, she nodded. I carried her up, and YUUUUUEEEEEEKKKKKKK!!!! She vomited onto my body. I was stoned!
With both of us at a very messy state, I slowly dragged myself and her to the bathroom. I took a quick shower for the second time, and then cleaned up Bb-G. We changed into clean clothes. She was back to the norm, as active as a mouse after she vomited. I think she felt “lega”.
Something must have gone wrong, she should not cough and vomit at the same time for so many days. I called to her pediatrician immediately. Bad luck, doctor worked half day. Called Papa-M who was in the office. Told him to come back early, need him to bring us to search for a kids’ specialist.
While waiting for Papa-M, Bb-G was still active, even asked for rice . Hungry maybe. After food, about one hour, she had diarrhea, and twice. Papa-M reached home. We went to search around the neighbourhood for a pediatrician who may open full day on Saturday. Luck was with us, we found one. I told doctor what happened for the past few days.
Me: Doc, she never cough and vomit like this before. Is she allergy to the medicine given by the clinic? (I brought along the medi to let him see)
Doc checked …checked….and came out with a conclusion
Doc: Your daughter has two cases here. One cough, another one, upset tummy. It has nothing to do with the medicine. I suspect infection. The best way to treat her is to drip. Stop feeding her food and water. Let her system clear. (and he was giving some lecture and explanation on the colon, infection…etc…etc…. while showing the diagram of a colon)
Me: Huh drip? Which means stay in the hospital? (I was too shocked and surprised, never expect it to be so serious)
Papa-M: No other alternative?
Doc: The best way is drip, if don want, I can still prescribe medicine, and she will go on vomit and diarrhea. I am telling you the best way to treat her now…
Me: So, need to drip for how many days, if today drip, then tomorrow she will be ok?
Doc: Oh…you have to give me 3 days for the treatment. She has to stay in the hospital for 3 days, no food, no water..
Papa-M and me looked at each other… we bisik bisik bisik…. And agreed to send her to the hospital. Bb-G was then brought to another room with a bed.
Doctor wanted to draw out some blood to do some lab test. He inserted the needle into Bb-G’s right hand. She cried loudly. I was very “kek sim” when I saw she cried. Due to dehydration, no blood came out, and he inserted another needle to her left hand, she yelled for the second time. And I “kek sim” for the second time too…. 2 tubes of blood was taken out. Doctor gave a letter to us, we need to bring the letter and the blood to the hospital immediately,
reason 1 – to get the lab report asap,
reason 2, let Bb-G admit to a ward and start her with the saline drip and she must get the nebulizer to treat her cough.
The doctor would go to the hospital once he closed his clinic. We followed what was instructed. Bb-G was admitted to the isolated room, under the doctor’s instruction. This was to ensure Bb-G’s unknown germs would not spread to other patients before the test report came out.
By 11pm , doctor came with the lab report. Bacteria was found in Bb-G intestines which caused her vomit and diarrhea. I stayed overnight in the hospital, while Papa-M went back home and packed clothes and toiletries for us.
Sunday,13/1/13
Doctor came to the ward for morning check. He had a new report with him.
Doc: I have another news for you. The report just came out. Your daughter has mycoplasma infection. This mycoplasma is a germ between bacteria and virus. It leads to pneumonia. You can search more info about mycoplasma from the internet. We need to start her with antibiotics now. So, like what I said earlier, she has two cases, infection at the tummy, and infection at the lungs.
Therefore, besides a 4 hourly nebulizer, she was given antibiotic injection through the tube into her hand, and 2 more types of antibiotics given orally. Some other medications included cough medi, phlegm medi, flu medi, anti diarrhea medi……. Gosh, so many medicines!!! She was on drip, so no food and water allowed.
Me: Ok lor..
Bb-G: you must finish the food ar… eat the rice, finish the rice ok, the rice is healthy for you…
Me: Ok, ok…
Bb-G: eat the vegetable ar…. these are healthy food you know…
Hahaha …..
Monday, 14/1/13
Normal hospital routine - medicines, nebulizer, drip. She was still having diarhea. Life was pretty slow and dull in the hospital. Luckily Nanny bought her some sticker books and colouring books, at least Bb-G could have some activities to do....
Tuesday, 15/1/13
My parents came to visit. Bb-G's tummy condition was stablised. Doctor stop giving her drip. She was given food, only plain porridge and soy milk. After so many days "PUASA", she finished a big bowl of porrigde !
Mom the patient, Bb-G the doctor, so funnnnyyyyyy
Wednesday, 16/1/13
My parents-in-law came to visit. With my mom and MIL around, Bb-G was not bored at all. Bb-G appetite was good, she ate non-stop. I felt so glad.
Routine as usual, nebulizer, medicines, physiotherapy.
Thursday, 17/1/13
Doctor checked Bb-G in the morning. Everything was fine. She can be discharged today! Hoorah!!
Friday - Sunday, 18/1/13 - 20/1/13,
Bb-G stayed at home to recuperate further. My MIL and mom cooked and took care of her. Thank you so much for the help given during these days !
Bb-G, May you be blessed with good health, stay healthy and happy always!


How is she today? Back to school?
ReplyDeleteyah back to school since monday..
ReplyDeleteNo fever at all ? When bringing my kids to see doc, I also felt heartache when doc needs to do blood test. The kids will be screaming..... see also felt like crying. haha
ReplyDeletemnhl - y, don have...
ReplyDelete