Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Don't Waste

What will I do when I have some leftovers in the fridge?
Past weekend inlaws came to visit us. MIL cooked for the family on Sunday night. One of the dishes was the seafood pot , which she braised chicken with sea cucumber and fish maw. Since the portion was quite large and we couldn’t finish it, MIL kept the leftover in the fridge. Besides, there was some white rice left too.

So yesterday night I just heated up the seafood pot and made myself an egg fried rice.

Somehow, I felt that such braised dish would be tastier if left overnight. The chicken became so soft that no chews were required.

Not wanting to waste the remaining leftover white rice, and with whatever resources I could get in the kitchen, I made a pot of congee with potato, carrot, onion, some fish slices, ginger and pork broth.
Boiled everything on the stove , transferred it into the thermal pot and let it cooked overnight. And this morning I had this for my breakfast.

Prepared one portion for Papa-M to bring over to his office too, and I also kept some for my lunch today.

During previous years, I usually throw away leftover food, thinking that it may not be fresh and unhealthy for consumption. However, nowadays everything(food, raw material, oil, etc..) is so pricy, and moreover when I think of those poor people who can’t get enough food for survival, I will tell myself to cherish whatever food given to me.

3 comments:

  1. What's that black thing on top of the porridge? I agreed that overnight stew-typed of food tasted more delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow again u can think of so many ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm Hmmm Correct! .. the porridge is lovely. Luckily there is no presence of Mr. Mushroom.

    ReplyDelete