Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, January 06, 2014

Bak Kua

When I was at my friend's house during the new year eve for party, she let me try her homemade bak kua. And I was impressed...I didnt know that we can make bak kua at home, and the texture and taste can be so similar to the bak kua sold commercially.

She taught me how to make, and I was so enthusiastic to make it at home, and finally I had my 1st bak kua done at home on last Friday night. 

I went to a pork shop and told the seller I wanted a piece of soft meat with some fat. Told him to wash and mince for me too. Back home I used a big pot and put in the seasonings, i.e., sugar, light soy sauce, oyster sauce, honey, Shaoxing wine, sesame oil, dark soy sauce, fish sauce, pepper and salt. I don't have 5 spice powder, hence I gave it a skip.
 
Mix all seasonings well and blended together with the minced pork. I used a pair of chopstick to blend the pork until it was quite sticky. I think my dark soy sauce is very black, hence, my mince pork was dark too... 

After marinated the pork for several hours, I laid a piece of cake paper and scooped an amount of pork on it. Then put a layer of cling wrap. Slowly spread-even and rolled till the pork became thin. Bb-G was as eager as me, and she requested to help me


So happen I had pineapple at home, therefore, I added a small amount of the fruit into the pork too.





































Next. I put all the pork spread on a table and blew them under fan. My friend actually asked me leave the pork under the sun,  this process is to get the minced pork gel up as a sheet. Since I made this at night, wind from the fan would do the magic too..



My friend's method is to grill the sheet pork with oven, but I was too lazy to shift down my heavy oven from the top kitchen cabinet, hence I grilled them with my Korean double pan. And it worked! 

My BAK KUA....
 














Papa-M said it was nice. Bb-G loved it too. I gave some to my friends and collegues, they  commented  the bak kua was yummy.....I am so glad.  I shall make more before CNY.... YAY! No need to buy bak kua anymore, they are so expensive nowadays, and home made bak kua is free from excessive oil, preservative and red colouring....what a healthy way to enjoy this CNY snack !!












4 comments:

  1. my uncle actually makes and sell bak kua every CNY, but i never bother to ask how he made the bak kua... hahaha...

    great attempt again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's the combination between the pineapple and minced pork ? Nice ka ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. sp - my uncle oso a bak kua maker in spore...Jin Pin Xiang, u heard before?

    mnhl - errr...can taste the pineapple lor... my uncle actualy make this in spore, i wan to tiru him, but his bakkua much much nicer...hahah

    ReplyDelete
  4. mummy-j - no ler, i am not sure of Jin Pin Xiang. where is it?

    ReplyDelete