I am not sure if this dish is still selling now, but during my younger sister's years (roughly 2004-2009), mihun soup / soto soup was indeed still a hot and welcoming food during the morning break. My younger "god-sister" is currently studying in the same school, perhaps I should check with her if the canteen is still having this same dish or not....ha ha ha...
I totally agreed with MNHL, the MUST HAVE would be the sambal kicap. Without the sambal kicap, the mihun soup is incomplete. Yesterday I had an urge to cook myself a bowl of mihun soup, and I really craved for the sambal kicap too. When I opened the fridge, was glad I kept some cili padi. Without any hessitation, I made my version of sambal kicap for the very first time.
Together with some shallots, put them into blender, added a bit of salt and sugar. End result

Mixed with dark soy sauce. To get the right taste (similar to T.I.G.S), I "fine-tune" with some sugar. Perfect!
Then, I cooked mihun soup. Without having any chicken bone/pork bone and Malay spices, I make the broth with ikan bilis and garlic. Again, without any fried chicken, I just dumped pork slices, fresh vegs, fu-chuk, served with crunchy ikan bilis and my home-made sambal kicap.

Mixed the sambal kicap into my soup...
White colour soup became brownish, I had a fantastic dinner last night!! Glad Papa-M also loved it too...






I remember my malay neighbour (Johor) taught me once by using cilli padi + lots of garlic + sugar & salt + malay brand kicap hitam manis. I even wrote down the recipe....i think is in my drawer in johor. hahaah.......
ReplyDeleteThis sambal eat with goreng pisang also shiok! Wah...i think i should make some and keep in the fridge too.
ReplyDeleteyes! u reminded me to eat this sambal with pisang goreng. i shud buy one pisang n make into fritters tomoro since it is a PH....tel u, only we johorian eat pisang goreng with sambal kicap, many of my fren here never eat before, and they find me very weird....!
ReplyDeleteyour mi hun soup really tastes like the soto??? and chilli really taste the same???
ReplyDeleteI also like the sambal kicap for pisang goreng. I had also asked my mum how to prepare the sambal kicap and my mum told me must buy the kicap melayu from The Store... before that i didn't know got special kicap called kicap melayu...
Hmmm very good noodles indeed........... Great job from great wife and also great temper. Hahaha still I love u. :p
ReplyDeletesp - my mihun sup don taste the malay soto , but chili is 80% close to tigs. cos i didnt use the malay kicap, brand ABC.
ReplyDeleteHelo, mr papa-m.....my temper very bad meh????